What is PRP?
PRP stands for platelet rich plasma. We obtain the PRP from a blood draw. The blood is spun down and the layer on top is the PRP that is rich in platelets. Platelets contain growth factors which are proteins that send signals to the cells. PRP has been shown to help with hair loss. We have seen more patients with hair loss related to having had COVID.
There are multiple causes of hair loss:
• Male pattern hair loss
Also known as Androgenetic alopecia, is miniaturization of hair follicles resulting in finer, thinner hair. It is related to hormones.
• Female pattern hair loss
Also known as Androgenetic alopecia, this typically appears as widening of the part in the crown but can also result in diffuse hair loss all over the scalp.
• Post COVID hair loss
The stressors created from COVID shock your body and disrupt the growth-rest cycle. The result is increased shedding of hair with more hair in the resting phase.
• Traction alopecia
Traction alopecia is caused by repeated trauma to hair follicles or from tight hairstyles like braids, cornrows, ponytails and hair weaves.
During this procedure the high concentration PRP is injected in the scalp. The growth factors increase blood flow, decrease inflammation and can revitalize the hair follicle. PRP is only effective if the follicle is present and still alive. PRP is best in areas of thinning, not complete balding.
How do you know if PRP is for you?
Everyone is unique and special. However, we are seeing better success with these factors
- The presence of thinning hair. Areas that are smooth, bald and shiny typically do not have viable hair follicles and do no respond as well.
- Hair loss that is more recent. If we are able to intervene sooner, the likelihood of success is better.
- Those with adequate nutrition and a healthy lifestyle tend to have a better response. We highly recommend Vitamin D and the supplements Viviscal or Nutrafol.
- We also recommend the use of topical hair growth factors at home between sessions.
- Once you arrive at the office, we will take you back to the treatment room and answer any questions you may have. You will sign the Consent.
- Dr. Kelley will inject numbing medication to make the procedure more comfortable.
- While the numbing is taking effect, the PRP is drawn. The blood draw is 60 ml.
- After about 15-20 minutes, the PRP injections are performed.
- You are able to go home. We advise that you avoid shampooing your hair, avoid wearing anything that puts pressure on the scalp and avoid anti-inflammatory medications like Advil and Aleve.
WE HAVE CHOSEN TO USE HI CONCENTRATION PRP. THIS MEANS THAT THE PRP INJECTED CONTAINS MORE PLATELETS (7- >10X) BASELINE PLATELET CONCENTRATIONS), RESULTING IN MORE PLATELETS AND REJUVENATING GROWTH FACTORS. WE ARE SEEING BETTER RESULTS WITH THIS APPROACH. WE USE THE EMCYTE PURE PRP SYSTEM THAT IS DOUBLE SPIN AND REQUIRES A 60 OR 120 MLBLOOD DRAW.
Pricing for PRP Treatment Packages
Maintenance treatments every 6-12 months are highly recommended.
2 sessions of high concentration PRP injection sessions spaced 6 weeks apart.
ADD ON OPTIONS:
• Microneedling $100-$200
• Anteage home hair system $150
• Lab testing for hair loss $240
2 sessions of extra high concentration PRP sessions spaced 6 weeks apart. Includes 1 Anteage Hair restoration home kit
ADD ON OPTIONS:
• Microneedling $150
3 sessions of extra high concentration PRP sessions spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
• 2 Anteage Home Hair Kits (Value of $300)